Skip to main content

Strength and Hope after Miscarriage and Stillbirth: One Woman's Journey

My Mom sent me a wonderful article written by Tracy Prisman called, "Strength and Hope after Miscarriage and Stillbirth: One Woman's Journey" It is beautifully written and a lot of her words hit home with my heart... I decided to re-post a few exerpts of her article in hopes that it may reach someone elses heart as well.

Why me?
The question, “why me?” comes back all the time. They say that if you gathered a group of people around several sacks with each sack containing a different problem, that we would choose to take the exact sack of problems that we are currently dealing with. It is hard to imagine that we could ever consciously choose to go through this, and yet deep down I do believe that this is true. It is also hard to look around and see others having kids all the time. I constantly have to remind myself that life is such that everyone has their own problems and no one’s life is perfect. Perfection is an illusion that we all see from the outside. To me, my problem seems like the worst thing ever, but others also have problems, which seem as big and hard to them as mine does to me, and maybe even worse.

The loss of a dream rather than a reality…
I lost my grandfather at the same time that I lost the baby; we were in the same hospital at the same time. I can’t help but compare the two losses. One is someone I knew my whole life, who was part of my daily life and the other was someone I didn’t know at all, but who was part of ME day and night for nine months. When you lose a grandfather you are upset because someone familiar will be missing and life will change without that person. It’s a strange concept, but when you lose an unborn baby, nothing is going to change at all. Life will continue just as it had been. What you are losing is “the dream”, the excitement and anticipation of having that baby. What you are also losing is control, control of your plans. It all seems so real and close and suddenly it is gone. I keep telling myself that the dream of having a baby has just been postponed for a year or two and what’s a couple of years in the scheme of life? It is difficult because I want a baby right now; I was expecting it right now. I live with the hope and certainty, beyond doubt though, that I will have a baby, a few babies, and a beautiful family. Maybe not right now, but hopefully soon.
Reaching out for support is not a weakness but a strength…

Fear for the future…
I can’t help but worry about the future, what if this happens again or even a few times more? How could I ever deal with it again? The thought of even being pregnant again after all this trauma is hard to imagine. How will I get through nine months of constant worry and panic? I have decided that the chances of this happening again are far less than the chances that it will all work out, so why focus on the less likely situation? I want to enjoy my next pregnancy as much as I enjoyed my last one, so I am going to train my mind to chase away all the negative thoughts. I will try and transform this horrible experience into something positive for the future. I will never take my pregnancies for granted, nor my children. I believe that I will appreciate everything so much more. There are so many miracles around us that we take for granted…just having a healthy baby is a miracle that I will never, ever take for granted again.

Everything passes. Nothing stays the same…
There are days when I feel so bad! I have no strength or patience to deal with anything. I despair and feel that there is no hope and that everything is just bad. And then suddenly, the next day, everything seems okay and not really that bad. Of course I am still sad inside, but I feel strong enough to deal with things and I even manage to appreciate and see the good that I have been blessed with. So, whenever I have a terrible day, I simply tell myself that as bad and as hopeless as I feel now (although it seems impossible in the moment) I will probably feel much better tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Day at a Time

Grieving... it is sometimes described as a "roller coaster" but there are no words to describe the roller coaster that I am on.  Some days go by and I am completely fine, I don't know how but we still laugh, I act goofy with Mike and we are "normal"... our kind of normal.    Then, out of no where it's like someone drops a bomb on you and you spin out of control and a wave of emotions take over and you loose complete control. One minute I'm angry that our daughter is gone and I cannot see her or hold her, the next minute I an anxious about how our life will never be the same and how do I go on with day to day activities. It is the strangest feeling to be so out of control of your feelings and emotions. I want to say that we are "OK" and that 90% of the time we are strong and staying positive, I know that is what Madison would want and that she is looking down on us giving us the strenght we need.   We have a wonderful support group that

Beach, July 4th and 4 Months!

Not sure where this past month has gone? We've been keeping busy with trips to the park, the mall, the supermarket and even took a small beach trip! Mason is changing everyday, he continues to amaze me every morning when I wake up to his sweet smiles. His 4 month check up went great, weighing in at 15.8 pounds and 24.8 inches long! (in the 54th %) He is wearing size 2 diapers now and mostly 6 month clothes. Today He actually rolled over from his back to tummy! Eating has become a little challenging because Mason has become so alert of his surroundings he does not want to concentrate on eating, that and a little teething makes for a fun feeding! We received the ok to start some solids and oatmeal by spoon, as well as bananas, avocado, sweet potatoes and peas.  Mason enjoyed his first beach trip, we loved every minute of the fun in the sun and sand! He really is a water baby.  Sweet Cailyn enjoyed playing with Mason and reading him books too!  Ma

1 Month... already?!?

This month has FLOWN by, it really is a blur.  I have to say that the first two weeks were pretty hard.  It was a big adjustment bringing Mason home and establishing a routine around eating, sleeping and keeping him satisfied.  As the month went on we adjusted quickly and are beginning to get into the groove of things. Mason is becoming very alert and looks at objects around the house, he loves making eye contact with mommy and daddy and even cracks a little smile! He has started to make fists and bring them up to hold onto his bottle. We started tummy time this month, he's not a huge fan but is very strong and is lifting his head up and scooting his knees.  Weight/Height: You are getting a little chunky and filling out all over, no official weight as of your 1 month but I am sure you are over 8 pounds. You were 20 inches at your last appointment on April 3rd. Your next Dr.'s appointment is May 19! Hair & Eyes: Your hair is dark and growing! Your eyes keep