Skip to main content

Mason's Birth Story

March 13, 2014: Even though we knew that I was going in at 5:00 am the next morning for a scheduled c-section, the day couldn't come fast enough. It had been a long nine months and we could not wait to meet our baby boy. The night before the big day, Mike and I ate an early dinner at Outback Steakhouse since we knew it was going to be the last good "going out to dinner" we would have in a few days, or possibly weeks. We went home, packed for the hospital, loaded the car and tried to relax. We got a few hours of sleep the night before, maybe 2-3 to be exact but we were running on adrenaline at that point.

March 14, 2014, 3:30 am: The morning the alarms rang loud and clear! Time to go. We hopped in the car and drove straight to Northside Hospital, check in was a breeze and before we knew it I was in a hospital gown getting prepped for surgery.  The time flew by, right up until 7:00am when it was time for the epidural. After a very long hour of testing for numbness it was determined that the epidural was not placed correctly and I was not numb enough, the anesthesiologist would have to replace the epidural with no guarantee that it would work the second time or I would have to be put to sleep for the c-section.  At that point we were ready to meet our baby and we decided to proceed with me being put to sleep.  Mike would not be allowed into the operating room which was upsetting, he waited anxiously right outside.  I was immediately brought into the room and given oxygen through a mask, I was told that I would feel pressure on my throat right as I went under as they would be putting a tube down my throat, the next thing I knew they were pumping the "sleeping medicine" into my IV and I was out. I awoke in the recovery room with Mike holding our baby boy. It was the most precious sight I could have ever woken up to, It felt like a dream.

Mason Robert Young was born at 8:00 am weighing 7lbs, 3oz and measuring 19.25 inches long. He was placed on my chest immediately to begin breastfeeding, my shakes and shivers from the anesthea quickly stopped as soon as I felt the warmth from his little body. Our hearts could not be more full of love for our son.  It is really hard to express the feeling and relief of knowing that he is finally here, Mason is exactly the rainbow in our lives that we knew he would be.  This quote from smallbirdstudios touches a place deep inside of me:


"It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of any storm. When a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm never happened or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides a counterbalance of color, energy and hope."








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beach, July 4th and 4 Months!

Not sure where this past month has gone? We've been keeping busy with trips to the park, the mall, the supermarket and even took a small beach trip! Mason is changing everyday, he continues to amaze me every morning when I wake up to his sweet smiles. His 4 month check up went great, weighing in at 15.8 pounds and 24.8 inches long! (in the 54th %) He is wearing size 2 diapers now and mostly 6 month clothes. Today He actually rolled over from his back to tummy! Eating has become a little challenging because Mason has become so alert of his surroundings he does not want to concentrate on eating, that and a little teething makes for a fun feeding! We received the ok to start some solids and oatmeal by spoon, as well as bananas, avocado, sweet potatoes and peas.  Mason enjoyed his first beach trip, we loved every minute of the fun in the sun and sand! He really is a water baby.  Sweet Cailyn enjoyed playing with Mason and reading him books too!  Ma

One Day at a Time

Grieving... it is sometimes described as a "roller coaster" but there are no words to describe the roller coaster that I am on.  Some days go by and I am completely fine, I don't know how but we still laugh, I act goofy with Mike and we are "normal"... our kind of normal.    Then, out of no where it's like someone drops a bomb on you and you spin out of control and a wave of emotions take over and you loose complete control. One minute I'm angry that our daughter is gone and I cannot see her or hold her, the next minute I an anxious about how our life will never be the same and how do I go on with day to day activities. It is the strangest feeling to be so out of control of your feelings and emotions. I want to say that we are "OK" and that 90% of the time we are strong and staying positive, I know that is what Madison would want and that she is looking down on us giving us the strenght we need.   We have a wonderful support group that

GO BRAVES!

Baseball Season is in full swing. Mason loves watching the games on TV with daddy, couldn't resist these shots of him right after a diaper change, at 4 weeks he is so alert! He even was practicing his swing, future MVP!  Batter UP!